Set the mood in order to create your very own spa at home, you’ll need to set the mood. From finding the perfect spa space to supplies and lighting, here are some tips to get you started on your journey to total relaxation.
Set up Your Space
Start by choosing where you want your at-home spa to be. It can be your master bathroom or just a spare room where you can spend time in peace and quiet. A room with a view is another great option to help you get some sunshine and enjoy a little bit of nature as you unwind.
- Once you’ve chosen your space, use some relaxing products like essential oils, a bottle of bubble bath, fresh flower fragrance pillows, or a vase filled with a bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Choose scents that have a calming effect such as lavender, eucalyptus, and chamomile. Put them in an essential oil diffuser to enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy at home.
- A cup of hot tea is a great way to help you relax. Gather some of your favorite teas, a cute kettle, and your favorite mug so you can sip your cares away.
- Look for ingredients to make your own DIY mask. A facial mask can soothe your skin and help you feel calm and relaxed.
- Organize all of your favorite spa goodies in a cute basket and keep them in your special space. This will make it easy for you to find everything you need so you can start relaxing right away.
Adjust the Lighting
- Bright light might not make you feel as relaxed as you could be, so dim the lights in the room for a soothing ambiance.
- Bring in some candles and turn off the overhead lights so you can bask in the candle’s illuminating glow.
- Light a scented candle before you hop in the shower or tub. This simple act will make daily bathing more relaxing, even when you don’t have time for a full spa day.
Create a Playlist
- Music has an incredible ability to calm the nerves, so make a custom playlist featuring some of your favorite songs to help you chill.
- You can find spa music that’s specially made to help you feel calm and tranquil. Use this music as you relax and listen your cares away.
- Add a Bluetooth speaker to your spa room so you can change tracks from your smartphone and won’t need to get up and walk over to the stereo.
Dress for the Occasion
- Find a fabulous robe that you can wear in your at-home spa. Silk robes are super-soft, lightweight, and perfect for recreating an authentic spa experience.
- Wear a comfy pair of slippers you can put on and take off whenever you want to keep your feet cushioned and your mood elevated.
- Invest in a quality pair of pajamas. A two-piece set with a top and bottoms is a great choice, or you can buy a nightgown so you can go from your spa right to bed.
DIY Spa Treatments
If you really want to feel relaxed, make sure you’re giving your hair and face the treatment they deserve. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on high-end luxury products to get the same experience. There’s a ton of options for DIY spa treatment available that you can use to create the perfect hair and face masks at home. Look for recipes and suggestions that you can do yourself to make custom spa treatments using safe, natural ingredients. A body scrub is also a great way to relax. This treatment sloughs off dry skin and leaves you feeling smooth, soft, and moisturized. Just remember to apply a moisturizing lotion after using a body scrub for the best results. Avoid applying body scrubs to damaged skin, or skin that’s extremely dry.
Spa Products to Add that Special Touch
After you’ve chosen a space, picked out some music, and planned your day, there are a few other things you can add to ensure that your spa is as tranquil as can be:
- Neck Pillow: Use a neck pillow to help you relax. You can choose a bath neck pillow that supports your head in the bath, or try a soft, supportive scented pillow to cradle your neck while you lay back and relax.
- Gel Eye Mask: Soothe those dark undereye circles with a cooling gel eye mask. These masks can reduce puffiness and help you feel calm.
- Jade Roller: A jade roller is a great product that can relax your facial muscles. Use this handy roller after you’ve rinsed all facial products from your skin. These handy beauty tools are inexpensive, and they can help reduce facial puffiness while promoting feelings of calm.
- Bath Salts: To give your bath some extra benefits, look for bath salts in soothing scents. This product is great for relaxing while it softens the skin and emits a gentle, calming fragrance.
- Facial Headbands: A headband will keep your hair out of your face when applying masks or bathing. Choose a headband made of soft material like a terry cloth or microfiber.
- Spa Slippers: Find a pair of soft, cushy slippers you can wear around the house. This footwear is a perfect way to protect your feet while keeping them comfy and warm.
- Massagers: A foot massager is a perfect addition to your spa. This gadget will relax your feet and calves as you sit back and relax. You can also find massages for your neck and back to remove pesky knots and relax tense muscles.
- Essential Oil Diffuser: Once you’ve chosen some essential oils, use an oil diffuser to emit the soothing scents throughout your space. Try to diffuse just one oil at a time, or you can combine a few different oils within the same fragrance group.
- Candles / Incense Sticks: Scented candles and incense sticks are both great ways to create a soothing ambiance and enjoy a gentle fragrance in your home spa. Find an incense holder that will catch the “soot” from your incense and protect your counters. Some scent suggestions include patchouli, ylang-ylang, rosemary, and jasmine.
Include Your Family
Relaxing in your spa alone is great, but you can also enjoy a special spa day with the entire family. Here are some suggestions you can use to provide your family with the ultimate at-home spa experience:
- Make some delicious smoothies full of fruit, greens, and other goodies that are healthy and delicious.
- Buy your kids a comfy bathrobe and slippers they can wear on their special spa day.
- Look for fun bath accessories for kids like colorful bubble bath and bath toys to make the day special.
- Listen to relaxing music and teach your kids about breathing techniques and meditation.
- Spend some time together as a family after your spa day by finishing with your kid’s favorite movie or a special dinner.
Make it Romantic
You can enjoy a romantic getaway right in your own home with a couple’s spa day. Take a day off from work and invite your other half to join you. To create a romantic spa day, try some of these suggestions:
- If the tub is big enough, enjoy taking a nice long bubble bath together and play some romantic tunes by candlelight.
- Choose romantic scents for your spa day including rose or vanilla to help set the mood.
- Buy your partner a matching bathrobe so you can both wear comfy clothing after you soak in the tub or take a relaxing shower.
- Enjoy a few snacks together, like chocolate-covered strawberries, whipped cream, or a fresh fruit tray.
- If you’re experienced at massage, offer to give your partner a nice, long rubdown.
- Disconnect from the outside world and turn off your smartphone and the TV. This is the time to reconnect and enjoy some peace and quiet as you both relax and decompress.
Now that you have everything you need for a relaxing DIY spa day in the comfort of your own home, it’s time to get started. We hope you’re able to fully relax, chill, and enjoy your at-home spa day using these tips and ideas. From essential oils to DIY masks and scrubs, it’s easy to experience the same relaxing effects of an expensive spa right in your own home for the ultimate spa day anytime.